Glass tiles can bring beauty to any environment. Glass tiles are a great way to bring a look of elegance to your home without spending a lot of money. Glass tiles offer a lot of versatility as for aesthetics go as well. In fact, there are countless colors, finishes, and textures available in glass tiles. These include reflective options, opaque options, and shiny finishes. You can get rough or etched options as well. There are literally thousands of artistic ways to express your creativity with glass tiles and to bring any area of the property to life with glass tiles, and since glass tiles come at an entry-level price point, they are an affordable way to bring a high-end look to any area. Glass tiles can make any interior look larger than it actually is because of its reflective nature and the way glass takes advantage of even minimal lighting. This makes it an ideal choice for creating more "room" with a wider, more reflective visual appeal.
Remember, glass is the most thermally expansive surfacing product and requires adhesives and grouting products that can expand and contract with the glass without contributing to the possibility of a failure. Litokol products allow glass to be glass and not fail due to excessive expansion due to rigid installation materials. For this reason, Litokol is the world's leader in glass tile installation products.
Installing Glass Tile
Installing glass tile isn't difficult if you have the right tools and follow some basic installation rules. Here we discuss the basics of installing glass tiles.
NOTE: Always remember to follow the specific instructions set forth by the glass manufacturer first, as well as any local or state building codes.
1. Take tiles out of the box and examine them. This allows you to make sure they are the right colors and to ensure the tiles are in good shape and ready to be used.
2. Do a mock-up so you can see how the project will look. This is important if you are a contractor doing a job for a customer.
3. Be sure to blend and clean glass tiles. Color variations can occur from one box to another, so take a sheet from different boxes and compare and blend. Next, clean the glass tiles before setting. You can use ammonia, which will clean the glass, but isopropyl alcohol will open the pores of the glass and allow for better cleaning.
4. Always key in your thinset by applying a coat of mortar into the substrate for a good bond using the flat side of the trowel.
5. Gradually add more mortar to the substrate, carefully applying the mortar in straight lines in one direction. Applying the trowel ridges in straight lines ensures maximum effective distribution of the mortar.
6. Apply a small amount of thinset into divots before setting.
7. Place your tile evenly on surface and use a standard float to tap lines and seams into place. You should offset sheets to minimize sheet lines.
8. Pulling paper requires some patience. Begin by lightly wet it, but be sure not to oversaturate it. Use a damp sponge to wet the paper. Your wait time depends on the environment, but pull the paper when the thinset is still workable and pliable.Remove the paper by applying pressure to the tile with one hand while drawing the paper off at a 45-degree angle. Remember, different mounting systems require different methods. Mesh back can be viewed as set and paper face requires pulling of the paper.
9. It's time to make adjustments to the set. Because the thinset is still workable and pliable, you can make adjustments and tweaks easily at this juncture.
The Tile Doctor is the exclusive U.S. distributor of Litokol grout and tile installation products. Litokol products are non toxic and non-corrosive, so they are safe for installers. Litokol grout products are also known over the world for ease of use and the high quality of the products. Starlike grout can be used as grout or as an adhesive. See below how to install glass tiles using Starlike grout:
1. Mix your Starlike grout. Starlike grout is a two-part anti-acid epoxy mortar. Part A consists of an epoxy resin mixture, inert ceramic quartz and mud additives. Part B consists of a mixture of organic catalysts with minimum environmental side effects and lower exposure risks for users.
2. Spread and bed the grout. With Starlike grout, you can use a single step method. Since Starlike is both an adhesive and a grout, you can have two installers working side by side, with one bedding and spreading and another coming right behind to do the grouting. This eliminates worrying about the squeeze and can save a lot of time in application.
3. Use a Tile Doctor scrub pad and water. The surface doesn't need to be flooded, but use plenty of water. Colored scrub pads can bleach out the color into your material. Use a spray bottle to keep plenty of water on the surface of the tiles as you work your way over them. Wipe in a circular motion and you will see the white emulsion taking place. This is the resin being removed from the surface. This can be easily wiped away with a sponge in one or two passes. Additional haze can be removed with a little dish soap and water.
Starlike Grout and Glass Tile Installations
Whether your glass tile installation is a mosaic or a backsplash, a wall design, or in a pool, Starlike grout is the best choice for easy error-free installation. Because Starlike is both an adhesive and grout, the entire process is simplified. Starlike grout comes in 159 plus colors and textures, giving you the widest range of options for your designs. It is non-toxic, safe for installers, and can be disposed of without the special considerations associated with other epoxy grouts. Because Starlike is so easy to work with, there is almost no risk of installer error. When you're looking for the best way to install glass tiles, look no further than Starlike epoxy grout, respected by installers worldwide for its durability, ease of use, and aesthetic value. Give us a call at 1-877-TileDoc (845-3362) to learn more about Starlike grout and our other high quality grout products.
If you found this article helpful, let us know in the comment section below. Also, feel free to share it by clicking the share buttons below. Want us to cover another topic related to grouting products and techniques? If so, then like us, follow us, and post to any of our social media profiles the topic you'd like us to discuss: Facebook TheTileDoctor, Instagram @thetiledoctor and Twitter @thetiledoctor.
The Tile Doctor is the exclusive U.S. Distributor for Litokol, the world's premier tile setting and grouting products. This allows The Tile Doctor to offer a broad color selection of epoxy grouts, along with all necessary setting and waterproofing materials needed by the Trade and Distribution industry. Litokol products are used in the industry for both Residential & Commercial Tile jobs, along with being a leading supplier for the Pool industry. The Tile Doctor also offers a full line of care and maintenance products under the Express Finish® Brand, including its best-selling Grout Admix, plus a full line of sealers and cleaners using today's most environmentally sound ingredients.